When planning a new project, Project Management Melbourne typically break the project into four basic components:
- Scope – addresses the size of the project, its goals and requirements
- Resources – refers to the management of people, materials and equipment
- Time – refers to the duration required to complete the project, identifies the dependencies and critical paths
- Money – identifies the costs, profits and any contingencies
We will, when starting a new project, assume responsibilities which include:
- Preparing a Schedule
- Resource Forecasting
- Pre-planning for engineering and other such technical activities that are related to the project
As the project proceeds to completion his major responsibilities will include:
- Ensure the project is completed as planned
- Ensure excellent inter-discipline coordination (often needed when people from multiple speciality disciplines are involved) is maintained
- Ensure standards of quality and safety are maintained to the highest levels
Project management is an end-to-end task. As your project manager Miguel will focus heavily on all aspects of your project, from planning, designing, manufacturing, construction, operating, maintaining to end-of-life options.
Benefits of Great Project Management to Clients:
- Single Point of Contact: Since a project manager is the only person clients will communicate to, it becomes easier for them to discuss the entire project, provide feedback, and typically be a part of the entire project. In case of any updates or suggestions, the client does not have to run pillar-to-post trying to find the right person to contact.
- Able to Deliver Better Results: Project management offers a ‘road-map’ so the client and the project manager know exactly what is required in terms of time, money and resources for successful project completion. This helps the firm offer better services and deliver the project effectively. Clients have minimum interruptions or obstacles in their projects and project management helps lay out all the details in black and white.
- Enhances Client Satisfaction: Great project management is the key to a happy and satisfied client. When a project is completed on time and under budget, there will be no client complaints.
Selecting a Project Manager
Since a project manager is responsible for ensuring that a project is completed successfully, it is vital that a project manager in the Engineering Sector should be qualified and suitably experienced to deliver a successful outcome. Some of his attributes will include:
- Have Great Foresight: A good project manager is one who is experienced and can anticipate any issues that may jeopardize the project completion date, budget or quality.
- Have Great Organizational Skills: Since there are literally hundreds of things that a project manager needs to concentrate on while the project is underway, knowing how and when to prioritize and organize things is important
- Be a Great Communicator: A project manager needs to interact with the team and clients. Project managers need to be able to motivate the team and ensure the project is completed as planned. On the other hand, in case of any delays in deadlines or budget changes, a project manager also needs to communicate to the client to renegotiate the project requirement.